On today’s episode, I’m chatting with Matt Cauz, on his excellent podcast called Matt Talks Wine and Stuff with Interesting People. Matt interviews sommeliers, winemakers and wine writers so this is a bit of a turnaround from my usual format because Matt is interviewing me.
I wanted to share this episode with you because we dig into lots of great wine tips, like how to make sense of the wine region Burgundy, how social media has changed the way we think about wine and a sneak peek at some of the topics in my third book, including the issues that women in the wine industry face. Enjoy the episode!
- Why should you visit the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival?
- Why is your first memorable wine often the one that kick-starts your passion for wine?
- Why does visiting Burgundy help to make sense of it?
- What makes Burgundy vineyards so much more confusing than Bordeaux?
- What is it about tasting a wine where it’s made that deepens your memory of it?
- Why is Domaine de la Romanee-Conti considered one of the world’s finest wines?
- What can you expect from my third book about wine?
- How is the experience of writing a third book different being a first-time author?
- What advantages do writers have when interviewing interesting people?
- How can both new and experienced readers enjoy the same writing?
- Why is it important to write the way we talk?
- Where should you look for great-tasting bargain wines?
- Why should you take a wine course?
- Why should you be interested in Randall Grahm of Bonny Doon Vineyard?
- Why do Matt and I love Bonny Doon wines?
- How has being a woman in the wine industry changed over the past ten years?
- What does it mean to be a supertaster?
- Connect with Matthew:
- Podcast: Matt Talks Wine & Stuff with Interesting People
- Twitter: @mcauz56
- Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Aubert De Villaine, co-owner and co-director of the Domaine de la Romanee-Conti
- Randal Grahm, winemaker and founder of Bonny Doon Vineyard
- Unreserved Wine Talk Episode 45 | Thanksgiving Wines, Mouse Wine Defect, Trends to Ignore
- Unreserved Wine Talk Episode 23 | Randall Grahm: A Californian Blend of Wine, Wit and Wisdom
- My Books:
- Red, White, and Drunk All Over: A Wine-Soaked Journey from Grape to Glass
- Unquenchable: A Tipsy Quest for the World’s Best Bargain Wines
- My online wine and food pairing class
- Bouchard Aine & Fils Beaujolais Superieur
- Domaine de la Romanee Conti
- Closson Chase Vineyard Pinot Noir
- Bonny Doon Vineyard
Tag Me on Social
Tag me on social media if you enjoyed the episode:
- @nataliemaclean and @natdecants on Facebook
- @nataliemaclean on Twitter
- @nataliemacleanwine on Instagram
- @nataliemaclean on LinkedIn
- Email Me at [email protected]
Thirsty for more?
- Sign up for my free online wine video class where I’ll walk you through how to taste wine and pair it with food like a pro – without the snobbery ;)
- Join me on Facebook Live Video every second Wednesday at 7 pm eastern for a casual wine chat.
- You’ll find my books here, including Unquenchable: A Tipsy Quest for the World’s Best Bargain Wines and Red, White and Drunk All Over: A Wine-Soaked Journey from Grape to Glass.
- The new audio edition of Red, White and Drunk All Over is now available on Amazon.ca, Amazon.com and other country-specific Amazon sites; iTunes.ca, iTunes.com and other country-specific iTunes sites; Audible.ca and Audible.com.
Transcript & Takeaways
Welcome to episode 52!
In today’s episode I’m chatting with Matt Cauz, on his excellent podcast called Matt Talks Wine and Stuff with Interesting People, which originally aired on October 26th. Matt interviews sommeliers, winemakers and wine writers. Hello! So this is a bit of a turnaround from my usual format because Matt is interviewing me.
Matt is also a sports talk radio host for TSN 1050, he has his WSET Diploma and organizes wine events at the National Club in Toronto.
I wanted to share this one with you because we dig into lots of great wine tips, how to make sense of the wine region Burgundy, how social media has changed the way we think about wine and a sneak peak at some of the topics in my third book, including the issues that women in the wine industry face.
I’ll put links to Matt’s podcast, website and social media handles in the show notes at nataliemaclean.com/52.
Before we dive in, I’d like to put a spotlight on a member of our podcast community with you. Deb Pordrigal of British Columbia wrote in to say, “Excellent episode with festive wines, the Mouse Wine Defect and wine Trends to ignore is very interesting.
She’s referring to episode 45. Go back and have a listen if you missed it.
Okay, on with the show!
Well, there you have it! I hope you enjoyed this chat with Matt Cauz. I recommend that you check out his podcast Matt Talks Wine and Stuff with Interesting People. He does a great job with it.
You’ll find links to Ian’s podcast, website and social media handles at nataliemaclean.com/52.
What was your favourite tip or quote from this episode? Share that with me on Twitter or Facebook and tag me @nataliemaclean, on Instagram I’m @nataliemacleanwine.
If you liked this episode, please tell a friend about it, especially one who’s interested in how the wine tips I shared. My podcast is easy to find, whether you search Google on its name Unreserved Wine Talk, or on my name.
Finally, if you want to take your ability to pair wine and food to the next level, join me in a free online video class at nataliemaclean.com/class.
I can’t wait to share more wine stories with you next week.
Thank-you for taking the time to listen to this one. I hope something great is in your glass this week, perhaps a wine that has a special story for you wrapped around it!