Which wines go best with the “green food” that we’ll enjoy on St. Patrick’s Day, such as corned beef and cabbage or Irish stew? How about those fresh spring vegetables that will soon be on our plates?
Green foods are the problem children of the wine world. But as a stubborn hedonist whose grandmother’s name was Brophy, I’ve found some terrific wines to drink with them on Tuesday.
Top 10 Green Wine & Food Matches
1. Corned beef and cabbage: Pinot Blanc
2. Irish Stew: Cabernet Franc
3. Spring Asparagus: Gruner Veltliner
4. Field greens salad: Riesling
5. Tomatoes: Pinot Noir
6. Green peppers: Sparkling Wine
7. Grilled veggies: Rose
8. Green peas: Sauvignon Blanc
9. Spinach and bacon salad: Merlot
10. Artichoke: Verdicchio
For more tips on pairing green food and wine.
To help you find those wines Tuesday, you can use the free wine mobile app which has lots of pairings.
In the spirit of going green (and giving back green), the new app is free. So you won’t need the luck of the Irish to pick the right wines, whether you’re in the pub, at a friend’s house or at the liquor store restocking. It’s like having a sommelier (and leprechaun) in your pocket.
Mobile App Features:
– Find 380,000 professionally tested food and wine pairings
(not generated by computer algorithm)
– Access thousands of wine reviews by an independent journalist
– Search the reviews by winery, price, score, region, grape, vintage, food match
– Track your wines in your virtual cellar and add your own journal notes and scores
– Search a directory of 10,000+ wineries to buy wine or plan a visit
– Find thousands of tasty, tested recipes for every wine
– Get wine savvy with articles, glossary definitions & blog posts
– Share on Twitter, Facebook and e-mail with friends
Which wines will you be drinking this St. Patrick’s Day?