Sommelier and author Marnie Old is a breath of fresh air in the wine world. An engaging performer and gifted teacher, she is refreshingly direct and down-to-earth. Marnie’s focus on matters of real-world relevance to consumers, not winemakers or brewers, puts her in demand as an expert speaker on wine and beer around the country, most notably as a featured seminar presenter at the annual Food & Wine Classic in Aspen. She is also the founder and organizer of Philly Bierfest, an annual festival celebrating Pennsylvania’s German brewing heritage.
Jean-Charles Boisset was born into the world of wine in the village of Vougeot, Burgundy, France. Together with his sister Nathalie, he created Domaine de la Vougeraie, uniting the family’s Burgundy vineyards, including prestigious monopoles such as the Vougeot 1er Cru Clos Blanc de Vougeot — planted in 1110 by the Cistercian monks, into one of Burgundy’s leading domaines. He instituted the concept of “viniculteur”, redefining the company’s traditional role to encompass a close and active interest in all aspects of winegrowing to ensure premium quality and sustainable farming practices.
- How did Jean-Charles and Marnie meet?
- What triggered Marnie and Jean-Charles’ decision to co-author their book, Passion For Wine: The French Ideal and the American Dream?
- What makes Passion For Wine: The French Ideal and the American Dream different from other wine books?
- What’s the story behind the Buena Vista Legendary Badge?
- How does the Buena Vista Legendary Badge Petite Sirah flavour profile fit into Marnie and Jean-Charles’ “Spectrum of Style” for wine?
- Why is it so hard for people to identify their personal preferences in wine?
- What are the best food pairings for Powerful Red style wines?
- What was the biggest challenge for Jean-Charles and Marnie on the journey to publishing their book?
- Why were simplicity, clarity and concision so important to Jean-Charles and Marnie?
- Why should you work on developing your own opinions about wines?
- What’s one of the main disadvantages for North Americans in learning about wine?
- Why should you use the “Spectrum of Style” as a pairing tool?
- How does a tasting of The Count Founder’s Red Wine compare to the Legendary Badge Petite Sirah using the “Spectrum of Style” criteria?
- Do context and cuisine play a significant role when tasting and pairing wines?
- What’s the story behind the Chateau Buena Vista Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon?
- Is there an easy way to judge craftsmanship in wine and to know if an expensive wine is worth the price?
- Jean-Charles and Marnie’s Book: Passion For Wine: The French Ideal and the American Dream
- Boisset Collection
- Marnie’s Previous Book: Wine: A Tasting Course
- Connect with Jean-Charles:
- Connect with Marnie:
- Twitter: @marnieold
- Count Agoston Haraszthy, Buena Vista Winery founder
- Vitis vinifera grape varieties
- Neige Ice Cider
You can also watch the video interview with Marnie and Jean-Charles that includes bonus content and behind-the-scenes questions and answers that weren’t included in this podcast.
- Buena Vista Legendary Badge Petite Sirah
- Buena Vista The Count Founder’s Red
- Buena Vista Cabernet Sauvignon
- Neige Recolte D’hiver
Tag Me on Social
Tag me on social media if you enjoyed the episode:
- @nataliemaclean and @natdecants on Facebook
- @nataliemaclean on Twitter
- @nataliemacleanwine on Instagram
- @nataliemaclean on LinkedIn
- Email Me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thirsty for more?
- Sign up for my free online wine video class where I’ll walk you through how to taste wine and pair it with food like a pro – without the snobbery ;)
- Join me on the Sunday Sipper Club on Facebook Live Video every Sunday at 6 pm eastern.
- You’ll find my books here, including Unquenchable: A Tipsy Quest for the World’s Best Bargain Wines and Red, White and Drunk All Over: A Wine-Soaked Journey from Grape to Glass.
- The new audio edition of Red, White and Drunk All Over is now available on Amazon.ca, Amazon.com and other country-specific Amazon sites; iTunes.ca, iTunes.com and other country-specific iTunes sites; Audible.ca and Audible.com.