Last night we talked about our Favourite Canadian Wines.
Click on the arrow above to watch the video.
Learn who future special guests are lined up.
If you’d like to read the 84 comments for this discussion, or make a comment yourself, visit:
P.S. Want to know when we go live next Sunday with our next special guest?
Tune in here for our Facebook Live Video Wine Tasting:
Click on the “Follow” and “Like” buttons on this page to get notified when we go live.
We’ll be simultaneously broadcasting on Facebook Live, YouTube Live Stream and Twitter Live Video via Periscope.
You’ll find upcoming and past Live Tasting Videos here.
Here’s a sampling of our lively discussion from our tasting…
Get fewer than ten correct, and you may want to consider switching to beer. Get between eleven and fifteen right and you’re well on your way to the inner sanctum of the Canadian wine savvy elite. More than sixteen, and you’re always the one who gets handed the wine list in restaurants.
1. Which famous Canadian comedian owns a Canadian winery?
a) Mike Meyers
b) Dan Aykroyd
c) Stephen Harper
d) Rich Little
2. What does VQA stand for?
a) Vintners Question Authority
b) Vineyards Quality Assurance
c) Vintner’s Quality Alliance
d) Vin Que Allemangne
3. The father of Canadian wine is known as:
a) Johann Schiller
b) John Niagara
c) Johnny Grapeseed
d) Gordon Lightfoot
4. Many Canadian winemakers make extensive use of:
a) Oak aging
b) Carbonic maceration
c) Hand harvesting
5. There are how many wineries in Canada:
6. Le Clos Jordanne winery is a collaboration between:
a) Steven and Chris
b) Cher and Madonna
c) McCain and Weston
d) Boisset and Constellation
7. The first commercial winery in Canada opened in:
8. The largest producer of icewine in the world is:
9. Approximately what percentage of the current price of wine in Canada is government taxes:
10. Which champion golf pro owns a Canadian winery?
a) Greg Norman
b) Ernie Els
c) Mike Weir
d) Arnold Palmer
11. Which of the following does not belong?
a) Prince Edward County
b) Niagara Peninsula
c) Lake Erie
d) Thunder Bay
12. Which of the following is not a hybrid grape?
a) Baco Noir
c) Marechal Foch
13. Grapes for ice wines are picked at which temperature?
a) Below –8C
b) Below freezing
c) Below 8C
d) A nippy winter night
14. White zinfandel is made from which of the following?
a) Red Zinfandel grapes
b) Blend of Chardonnay and Zinfandel
c) Traditional rosé grapes
d) An industrial pre-mix solution
15. What is noble rot?
a) Grapes are damaged by cold temperatures.
b) When good wine is left in poor storage conditions.
c) A benevolent fungus attacks the grapes which can result in sweet wine but not icewine.
d) When good winemakers go bad.
16. Which hockey player owns a Canadian winery?
a) Mario Lemieux
b) Wayne Gretzky
c) Mark Messier
d) Sidney Crosby
17. Which of these is not a Canadian winery?
a) Dirty Laundry
b) Organized Crime
c) Laughing Stock
d) Vine and Punishment
18. What factor contributes most to the loss of grapes for icewine?
a) predators such as birds and deer
b) mold, mildew and rot
c) government bureaucrats
d) temperatures too warm to harvest
19. Ontario produces what percentage of Canadian wines?
20. Niagara lies on the same latitude as:
1. (b) Dan Ackroyd
2. (c) Vintner’s Quality Alliance
3. (a) Johann Schiller
4. (c) Hand harvesting
5. (d) 497
6. (d) Boisset and Constellation
7. (a) 1866
8. (b) Canada
9. (b) 67%
10. (c) Mike Weir
11. (d) Thunder Bay
12. (d) Semillon
13. (a) Below –8oC
14. (a) Red Zinfandel grapes
15. (c) A benevolent fungus
16. (b) Wayne Gretzky
17. (d) Vine and Punishment
18. (d) temperatures too warm to harvest
19. (d) 90%
20. (a) Bordeaux