2 cups (500 mL) cooked chicken
½ lb (200 g) whole wheat spaghetti
2 Tbsp (30 mL) low-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp (30 mL) unseasoned rice vinegar
2 Tbsp (30 mL) ketchup
1 Tbsp (15 mL) honey
1 Tbsp (15 mL) toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
2 Tbsp (30 mL) fresh ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp (5 mL) chili pepper flakes, hot
2 cups (500 mL) carrots, peeled, grated
2 cups (500 mL) sweet yellow peppers, cut in strips
1 cup (250 mL) green onions, finely sliced
½ cup (125 mL) cilantro, minced
6 egg roll wrappers (or larger wonton wraps) 6” / 15 cm square cooking/vegetable oil spray
6 small metal bowls
2 Tbsp (30 mL) sesame seeds
4 sprigs cilantro (optional garnish)
1. Cook spaghetti in boiling unsalted water until al dente.
2. Shred cooked chicken into strips using 2 forks or your hands.
3. Mix salad dressing by combining soy sauce, rice vinegar, ketchup, honey, sesame and canola oil, minced ginger and garlic and hot chili pepper in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Cover with lid and shake well.
4. Toss chicken, carrots, peppers and green onions with cooked pasta, minced cilantro and dressing.
5. Make the wonton cups by coating outside of metal bowls with vegetable oil. Mould the egg roll wrapper around the outside of the bowl and bake with wonton wrapper up for approximately 15 minutes at 350°F (180°C) or until golden. Let cool and remove baked wonton wrapper from bowl.
6. Toast the sesame seeds in a dry skillet. Don’t leave unattended as they burn easily.
7. To serve, arrange salad in baked wonton cups and top with toasted sesame seeds. Garnish with a cilantro sprig (optional garnish).
Note: The flavour of the dressing improves as it sits. It can be made ahead and refrigerated up to one week. It is also a tasty marinade for raw chicken. Here it is tossed with cooked chicken, everyday cooked spaghetti and vegetables. Substitute any Asian-style noodles of your choice.
For more tasty chicken recipes, visit www.chicken.ca.