Salt Encrusted Roast BeefIngredients
1 4-6 pounds, well-trimmed beef rib eye roast
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2-3 tsp cracked black pepper
1 box coarse kosher salt
1¼ cup water
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Line shallow roasting pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
3. Combine salt crust ingredients; mix well. (Mixture may appear dry, but do not add additional water.)
4. Brush roast with oil; press pepper evenly into surface. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer into thickest part of roast, not resting in fat; centre roast on salt layer. Starting at base of roast, pack remaining salt mixture onto sides and top of roast to encase roast in salt. (Occasionally, some salt mixture may fall off, exposing small areas of the roast. This will not affect cooking.)
5. Roast for approximately 1½ to 1¾ hours for medium rare; 1¾ to 2 hours for medium.
6. Transfer pan with roast to cooling rack; let stand uncovered, 15 minutes.
7. Remove and discard salt crust from roast, brushing off any remaining salt. Carve roast into ½ inch thick slices.
If you'd like more delicious recipes and wine pairings
, join my newsletter.
Visit Dr. Joanne Marlowe
's wine and food blog
Tickled Pink Cookbook.