Drink.  Learn.  Laugh.  Repeat.

Welcome Back!Sign in here:

Not Registered?Become one of our thirsty clan 302,783 strong:

Register Today!

Toro Albala Don Px Selección 1967 Wine Review

Toro Albala Don Px Selección 1967

Toro Albala Don Px Selección  1967

Montilla-Moriles, Spain

Community Score:98/100

Community Reviews: 4

  Add My Review

Price: $199.95

Drink: 2016-2031

Bottle size: 750 ml

Alcohol: 17%

Sweetness: Sweet

Wine Type: Dessert Wine

Winery: Toro Albala

Agent: Le Sommelier Inc.

Natalie's Score: 99/100

Truly the most remarkable Sherry I've ever tasted. Aromas of baked prune pie, molasses and dark brown sugar spice. Wow.

This Toro Albala Don Px Selección 1967 was reviewed on January 9, 2017 by Natalie MacLean

  Add New Vintage

Pricing & Stock Information

Reviews and Ratings

Jon Steeves - Sommelier rated this wine as 97/100 with the following review:

An Absolutely amazing PX seleccion Sherry. Bottled Nov 2016. Tasted 1967 vintage in June 2017. Molasses, dried prune, fig, hazelnut. Long finish with persistence of molasses and prune. Pairs well with aged cheese and drinking well on its own. 97 points. BespokeTastings
The process for producing the winery’s P.X. sweet wines is as follows:
The grapes are laid out on long porous mats to dry in the hot and dry sun for 10-12 days, where after the first five days, 90% of the bunches are turned over, one by one. The remaining 10% of the bunches are left unturned so that they maintain their natural acidity. The grapes are then pressed, and ferment over a two-month period to 8-9% alcohol, at which point a distillate made from the same PX pressings is added to bring the wine up to 17%. The finished wine is then left to settle in concrete vats for two years, before ageing in 50-150 year old American oak barrels. The wine is then bottled and released shortly thereafter. Incredibly, no sulphites are added during the fermentation process, or at bottling.
The last time the 1967 Don PX Selección was bottled and sold was 2001. In November 2016, a single barrel (#351) of this rare vintage was bottled and sold exclusively to the Liquor Control Board of Ontario. Each bottle is hand numbered, and sealed with a wax cap. A total of 630 bottles were produced.

Estate bottled from 100% sun-dried Pedro Ximenez grapes, grown on the chalky white Albariza soils of Montilla-Moriles.

Once open, our PX is so stable that no difference or deterioration will be apparent after several months, if not years.

Source: Agent (Le Sommelier Inc.)

If you liked the Toro Albala Don Px Selección 1967, you might also like these wines:

Recipes for Toro Albala Don Px Selección 1967




Join me in a free online video class to learn the secrets to perfect pairings.

Wine of the Week

As featured on  

CTV Wine of the Week!

Ka Tahi White Wine
Sauvignon Blanc 2020,
Hawke's Bay, North Island ...

Natalie MacLean

Canada's Most Quoted Wine Writer

Natalie MacLean is editor of Canada's largest wine review web site, publishing hundreds of wine reviews every week for more than 302,783 members.

She was named the World's Best Drinks Writer at the World Food Media Awards in Australia.

Natalie has published two books with Random House, the second was named one of Amazon's Best Books of the Year. Get access to all of her reviews today by becoming a member of her site.



Know the wines you want before you even get to the store with my wine reviews. Join now. It's free.

Red, White & Drunk All Over

  Best Books of the Year

Red, White & Drunk all over by Natalie MacLean

Natalie MacLean writes about wine with a sensuous obsession... and often laugh-out-loud funny... Terrific.

Rex Pickett, Sideways

Ms. MacLean is the disarming Everywoman. She loves wine, loves drinking ... ultimately, it's a winning formula.

Eric Asimov, The New York Times


Access my reviews on mobile with the bar code scanner.


Unquenchable: A Tipsy Search

  Best Books of the Year

Unquenchable by Natalie MacLean

Natalie MacLean is a new force in the wine writing world ‐ a feisty North American answer to Hugh Johnson and Jancis Robinson. She can write beautifully about wine.

The Financial Times of London

There are very few people in the wine world who "get it" and Natalie is one of those who brings more fun to a buttoned-up and stodgy game.

Gary Vaynerchuck, Wine Library TV

Starting a Wine Cellar?

Expert advice for all budgets

Insider tips on starting a wine cellar
From wine racks to underground caves, insider tips on size and space, number of bottles, ideal conditions and reputable resources.   learn more  




Winner World's Best Drink Writer
WFour-Time Winner James Beard Foundation
Five-Time Winner Association of Food Journalists
Six-Time Winner Bert Greene Award
Best Wine Literature Book Gourmand World Cookbook Awards
Online Writer of the Year Louis Roederer International Wine Writing Award