Welcome Back!Sign in here:

Not Registered?Become one of our thirsty clan 265,830 strong:

Register Today!

Want to be THE Wine Expert among your friends?

299,156Wine Reviews
30Seconds to join

Hamilton Russell Chardonnay 2017 Wine Review

Hamilton Russell Chardonnay 2017

Hamilton Russell Chardonnay 2017

Hemel-En-Aarde Valley, Walker Bay W.O., South Africa

Community Score:91/100

Community Reviews: 6

  Add My Review

Price: $44.95

Drink: 2018-2025

Bottle size: 750 ml

Alcohol: 13%

Sweetness: Extra Dry

Wine Type: White Wine

Winery: Hamilton Russell

Agent: Trialto Wine Group Ltd.

Natalie's Score:

Access Natalie's Tasting Notes, Ratings and Food Pairings

Purchase a subscriptionUnlock Natalie's wine review, notes scores and pairings for this wine by upgrading your membership to become a Paid Member. Start drinking better wine tonight!

This Hamilton Russell Chardonnay 2017 was reviewed on July 23, 2018 by Natalie MacLean

More Vintages: 2016  2015  2013  2012  2011 

  Add New Vintage

Pricing & Stock Information

See More Edit
Kelowna Orchard Park23 Add
39th & Cambie17 Add
HighGate Village14 Add
Abbotsford13 Add
Dunbar13 Add
See More Edit
Boucherville - De Mortagne/L.-Daunais6 Add
Brossard - Taschereau/Adam6 Add
Brossard - Taschereau/Pelletier6 Add
Quartier Dix306 Add
La Malbaie6 Add
See More Edit

Reviews and Ratings

Jane Staples - Certified Sommelier rated this wine as 91/100 with the following review:

A rich Chard with tropical fruit, guava and buttery caramel aromatics. The luscious buttery palate is well-structured and balanced, with great acidity, a creamy mouthfeel and long citrus finish.
Tasted June 2018
Wineboy rated this wine as 90/100 with the following review:

South African Chardonnay can reach incredible heights of quality and this one approaches this level. Burgundian in style the baked apple flavours are nicely framed by fresh acidity and a deft hand on the oak. Loads of barrel-fermentation apparent here. The winery knows the value of this wine.
Dominik rated this wine as 89/100
Hamilton Russel Vineyards sees the strongest maritime influence of any winegrowing area in South Africa. This is a dry Chardonnay with rich peach, green apple and toasty oak flavours, balanced with a vibrant acidity. Would be a perfect pairing nto roast chicken as it would be for grilled seafood. - 90% of this wine was barrel fermented and aged for 9 months in French oak barrels with the remaining 10% is aged in large foudres and stainless steel and ceramic eggs. - Community Wine Reviews

1 Member would buy this wine again

If you liked the Hamilton Russell Chardonnay 2017, you might also like these wines:



Know the wines you want before you even get to the store with my wine reviews. Join now. It's free.

Wine of the Week

As featured on  

CTV Wine of the Week!

M Xx270 Red Wine
Syrah 2015,
Corsica ...

Natalie MacLean

Canada's Most Quoted Wine Writer

Natalie MacLean is editor of Canada's largest wine review web site, publishing hundreds of wine reviews every week for more than 265,830 members.

She was named the World's Best Drinks Writer at the World Food Media Awards in Australia.

Natalie has published two books with Random House, the second was named one of Amazon's Best Books of the Year. Get access to all of her reviews today by becoming a member of her site.

Red, White & Drunk All Over

  Best Books of the Year

Red, White & Drunk all over by Natalie MacLean

Natalie MacLean writes about wine with a sensuous obsession... and often laugh-out-loud funny... Terrific.

Rex Pickett, Sideways

Ms. MacLean is the disarming Everywoman. She loves wine, loves drinking ... ultimately, it's a winning formula.

Eric Asimov, The New York Times


Access my reviews on mobile with the bar code scanner.


Unquenchable: A Tipsy Search

  Best Books of the Year

Unquenchable by Natalie MacLean

Natalie MacLean is a new force in the wine writing world ‐ a fiesty North American answer to Hugh Johnson and Jancis Robinson. She can write beautifully about wine.

The Financial Times of London

There are very few people in the wine world who "get it" and Natalie is one of those who brings more fun to a buttoned-up and stodgy game.

Gary Vaynerchuck, Wine Library TV

Starting a Wine Cellar?

Expert advice for all budgets

Insider tips on starting a wine cellar
From wine racks to underground caves, insider tips on size and space, number of bottles, ideal conditions and reputable resources.   learn more  
Winner World's Best Drink Writer
Four-Time Winner James Beard Foundation
Five-Time Winner Association of Food Journalists
Six-Time Winner Bert Greene Award
Best Wine Literature Book Gourmand World Cookbook Awards
Online Writer of the Year Louis Roederer International Wine Writing Award