Errazuriz Chardonnay 2009
Casablanca valley, Chile
Natalie's Score: 87/100
Community Score: 4.4/5 Community Reviews: 3
Add My Review
Product #: 318741
Wine Type: White Wine
Add to my... Cellar Favourites Shopping List Wish List Wine Lists
Sweetness: Extra Dry
Bottle size: 750 ml
Agent: Philippe Dandurand Wines Ltd.
More Vintages: 2012 2008
Note: I publish batches of reviews that I call Good Values Wine Picks. These are from the regular section of the liquor store rather than the Vintages section, and tend to be lower priced and the most widely available of all wines. The last four reviews I did were: September 11, July 26, September 12 and March 7. Errazuriz Chardonnay 2009 Wine Review
A balanced and pleasant Chardonnay with green apple and melon notes. Nicely balanced oak gives it a richness without heaviness. Perfect with corn on the cob. This Errazuriz Chardonnay 2009 was reviewed by July 20, 2010 Natalie MacLean
More Wine Reviews and Ratings
Opinions about wine differ greatly as the experience is subjective. You may find it helpful to compare this critical evaluation of the wine with mine as well as your own:
Mark Cochrane rated this wine as 89/100 with the following review: Someday I'll figure out how to properly pronounce this vineyard's name. I always seem to end up with 8 syllables and too many Z's. Their wine on the other hand is really quite good. Peach, melon and tropical fruits are present on both the nose and palate. The wine was partially fermented in oak and aged sur lie which gives this Casablanca Valley Chardonnay a a good balance between the creaminess and acidity. A long smooth tropical finish of mango is really nice. Pairs well with a cold pasta salad.
Vineyard La Escultura Estate is a vineyard that receives the benefits from a coastal influence that moderates temperatures throughout the year, given its location, just 20 miles (32 km) from the Pacific Ocean in the Casablanca Valley. Cool maritime breezes allow a long and gentle ripening period that encourages the development of grape aromas and flavours and ensures very good acidity levels. This condition makes the Valley a privileged place for producing cool climate varietals such as Chardonnay. The vineyard was planted between 1992 and 1994 on granitic soils with low to medium vigour potential. The vines are vertically positioned, and the vineyard is drip irrigated. Winemaking We harvested the fruit for our Chardonnay Estate from late March through the first half of April. Upon arrival at the cellar, most of the grapes were whole cluster pressed, and the rest were destemmed and gently crushed. Vinification took place with clean musts, and the different lots were separated according to their specific characteristics. 94% of the wine was fermented in stainless steel tanks, while the remaining 6% fermented in French oak barrels. 24% of the final blend was then aged in French oak barrels for 4 months. This wine accomplished a 15% of malolactic fermentation. Winemaker's Comments A beautiful golden-yellow colour with a clean aromatic expression of tropical fruits such as pineapple and cherimoya that mingle with very well-integrated notes of oak that lend complexity and elegance. The well-rounded fresh palate features pleasing acidity, good volume, medium body and a long finish.
If you liked the Errazuriz Chardonnay 2009, you might also like these wines:
Serve Errazuriz Chardonnay 2009 between 55-60 degrees Farenheit or 12-16 degrees Celsius. Tip: If your bottle is at room temperature, put it in ice water for about 30 minutes or in the fridge for about three hours to chill it.
Recipes for Errazuriz Chardonnay 2009