Roasted Winter Beet Salad
• 1/2 C toasted almonds (Grainery)
• 1/2 garlic clove, finely minced (Green Grocer)
• ¼ tsp cayenne (South China Seas)
• 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (Edible BC)
• 1.5 lbs small (2-inch) beets without greens (Green Grocer)
• 2 Tbsp Okanagan Sherry vinegar (Edible BC)
• 1/4 C extra-virgin olive oil (Edible BC)
• 3 Tbsp shallot, finely minced (South China Seas)
• 3 Tbsp chives, finely chopped (Green Grocer)
• ¼ C crumbled Blue Cheese (Dusa’s)
Grind almonds to a paste with garlic, salt, and cayenne in a food processor. With motor running, add just enough oil to make a silky paste. Season with salt.
Roast beets, covered in a roasting pan, until tender, about 60 minutes. Cool uncovered, about 30 minutes, then peel and cut into wedges or slices.
Whisk together vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl, then whisk in oil. Add shallot and chives and toss with beets.
Divide almond butter among 6 plates and top with beet salad. Place some crumbled blue cheese on each salad and sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
Complementary Wines: Cava, Riesling, Rosé, Semillon, Sparkling Wine
If you'd like more delicious recipes and wine pairings, join my website.
Visit Eric Pateman
's wine and food blog
Edible British Columbia.
Return to Recipes