Maiale in Crosta
1 boneless single-loin pork roast (about 3lb/1.5kg)
15-20 slices of pancetta or bacon
2 tbsp each fresh chopped rosemary and sage
3 cloves of garlic minced
Salt and pepper
1 baguette cut in half length-wise
2 or 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1. In a bowl, combine the chopped rosemary, sage and garlic. Spread over pork roast.
2. Season pork with salt and pepper.
3. Wrap the pork in 1/2 of the pancetta.
4. Place the pork between the 2 slices of baguette.
5. Wrap again with the remaining slices of pancetta (the pancetta should almost completely cover the bread).
6. Top with the sprigs of rosemary and tie with some butchers string.
7. Line a pan with parchment paper and place pork on pan.
8. Drizzle pork with some olive oil.
9. Bake in preheated oven at 350°F (180°C) for 50-60 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 160°F (70°C).
10. Watch to make sure the bread isn't getting too dark. If it starts to get too brown, lightly cover with some aluminium foil.
11. Transfer pork to platter and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve.
Complementary Wines: Barbaresco
, Brunello di Montalcino
, Montepulciano D'Abruzzo
If you'd like more delicious recipes and wine pairings
, join my newsletter.
Visit Melanie Secciani
's wine and food blog
The Spice Lab.