Lamb Phyllo Triangles with Pistachio Pesto
Makes 50 hors d’oeuvres
Level of Difficulty: Medium
Variation: Substitute lamb with ground chicken
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
1 lb (500 grams) ground lamb
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 cup (250mL) mint and pistachio pesto – see recipe below
10 sheets phyllo pastry
2 tbsp olive oil to brush on phyllo
1. Add the oil and onions to a pan and sauté for about 5 minutes until soft, allow to cool.
2. In a large bowl, combine the cooled onions, lamb, salt, pepper and pesto.
3. Lay out a sheet of phyllo. Brush with a thin layer of olive oil (cover remaining phyllo with plastic wrap then a damp towel to prevent drying out)
4. Using a sharp knife, cut phyllo into 2½ inch(6cm) wide strips. Put a scant 1 tbsp of the lamb mixture about ½ inch from the end of each strip.
5. Fold one corner of the phyllo over the filling to create a triangle. Fold up triangle , continue folding triangle sideways and upward until the end of the phyllo strip.
6. Brush the outside with a little more olive oil and place triangles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
7. Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 15 minutes until golden brown.
8. Drizzle a little truffle honey on top and garnish with fresh mint leaves. Serve hot.
Mint and Pistachio Pesto – makes 1 cup
1/4 cup toasted unsalted pistachio nuts
1/4 cup parmigiano cheese
1/3 cup olive oil
3/4 cup fresh basil leaves
1½ cups fresh mint leaves
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Put everything in a food processor and process until almost smooth. Refrigerate overnight to let the flavours mingle.
Complementary Wines: Barbaresco, Brunello di Montalcino, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Chianti Classico, Montepulciano D'Abruzzo
If you'd like more delicious recipes and wine pairings
, join my newsletter.
Visit Melanie Secciani
's wine and food blog
The Spice Lab.