Lamb Phyllo Triangles with Pistachio Pesto
Makes 50 hors d’oeuvres
Level of Difficulty: Medium
Variation: Substitute lamb with ground chicken
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
1 lb (500 grams) ground lamb
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 cup (250mL) mint and pistachio pesto – see recipe below
10 sheets phyllo pastry
2 tbsp olive oil to brush on phyllo
1. Add the oil and onions to a pan and sauté for about 5 minutes until soft, allow to cool.
2. In a large bowl, combine the cooled onions, lamb, salt, pepper and pesto.
3. Lay out a sheet of phyllo. Brush with a thin layer of olive oil (cover remaining phyllo with plastic wrap then a damp towel to prevent drying out)
4. Using a sharp knife, cut phyllo into 2½ inch(6cm) wide strips. Put a scant 1 tbsp of the lamb mixture about ½ inch from the end of each strip.
5. Fold one corner of the phyllo over the filling to create a triangle. Fold up triangle , continue folding triangle sideways and upward until the end of the phyllo strip.
6. Brush the outside with a little more olive oil and place triangles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
7. Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 15 minutes until golden brown.
8. Drizzle a little truffle honey on top and garnish with fresh mint leaves. Serve hot.
Mint and Pistachio Pesto – makes 1 cup
1/4 cup toasted unsalted pistachio nuts
1/4 cup parmigiano cheese
1/3 cup olive oil
3/4 cup fresh basil leaves
1½ cups fresh mint leaves
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Put everything in a food processor and process until almost smooth. Refrigerate overnight to let the flavours mingle.
Complementary Wines: Barbaresco, Brunello di Montalcino, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Montepulciano D'Abruzzo
If you'd like more delicious recipes and wine pairings, join my website.
Visit Melanie Secciani
's wine and food blog
The Spice Lab.
If you liked this recipe, you may also like these lamb and wine recipe pairings:
Return to Recipes