Makes 16 pieces
Level of Difficulty: Easy
2 Eggplants, sliced lengthwise (about 16 slices)
16 Slices of prosciutto
1 Ball fresh mozzarella
16 Fresh basil leaves
32 Capers (2 for each roll)
Parmigiano cheese, grated
Aged balsamic vinegar
Eggplant slices: Place eggplant slices in a colander, sprinkle with salt and let sit for 1 hour to release some of the water. Pat slices dry with paper towel and lay them on a baking sheet. Brush with some olive oil and place in oven to broil, or grill the slices on a grill for about 10 minutes, flipping once.
Tomatoes: Score the bottom of the tomatoes and put them in a pot of boiling water to blanch them. When skin starts to come loose (30-60 seconds), remove them from water. Run the tomatoes under cold water and remove the skins. Roughly chop, and remove seeds.
Putting it altogether:
1. Lay each piece of grilled eggplant flat.
2. Top each with one piece of prosciutto.
3. At one end of the eggplant, place a little of the tomato, 2 capers a little of the mozzarella and one basil leaf.
4. Roll up the eggplant and secure it with a toothpick.
5. Place rolled pieces in a baking dish.
6. Drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle with the parmigiano cheese.
7. Bake in oven at 350°F (180°C) for 8 minutes, remove from heat.
8. Drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar, serve warm.
Complementary Wines: Barbaresco
, Montepulciano D'Abruzzo
If you'd like more delicious recipes and wine pairings
, join my newsletter.
Visit Melanie Secciani
's wine and food blog
The Spice Lab.