2 cups heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 egg yolks
⅓ cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp granulated or brown sugar
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Scald cream in a saucepan over medium heat, until it’s hot, just before a simmer.
3. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks with ⅓ cup granulated sugar, vanilla until thick, light in colour and most of the sugar has dissolved.
4. Gradually add hot cream into egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly, until totally incorporated.
5. Pour mixture into ramekins or any individual oven-proof dishes (the size of the dishes will determine how many you will get from the recipe, usually 4-6 portions). The mixture doesn’t rise, so you can fill them as full as you like.
6. Place the ramekins in a roasting pan or baking dish and fill it with hot or boiling water halfway up the sides of the dishes.
7. Bake in the oven, depending on the size of the dishes, 45 minutes to 1 hour and15 minutes. The mixture will be set, but still a little jiggly in the middle.
8. Remove, let cool and refrigerate until right before serving.
9. Use the broil function in your oven at about 400 degrees. Sprinkle the tops with granulated or brown sugar and broil until dark brown and bubbly.
10. Serve immediately.
If you'd like more delicious recipes and wine pairings
, join my newsletter.
Visit Alana Chapman
's wine and food blog
Tickled Pink Cookbok.