Ci Vediamo Spezzatino
When Heather moved to Florence Italy, she learned to make spezzatino and adopted it as her new comfort food. She knew enough Italian to get by, but she made a mistake one day when she said Canadianized "Ci vediamo" (I'll see you) with "Ci vediamo dopo" (I'll see you later). Her friend actually went looking for her later that day!
Level of Difficulty: Medium
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 large potatoes, peeled, cut into large pieces
2 lbs. stewing beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
½ cup olive oil
3 cups red wine
½ cup tomato purée
salt and fresh black pepper to season
1. In a large stewing pot, heat extra virgin olive oil and sear beef for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Remove beef from the pot and add carrots, celery, and onions. Cook for 2 minutes or until vegetables become soft.
3. Add 1 cup of red wine and reduce.
4. Add the potatoes to the pot and season with salt and pepper.
5. Return the seared beef to the pot then add tomato pure and the remaining wine.
6. Let the liquid come to a boil and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for an hour and a half and serve.
Complementary Wines: Barolo
, Cabernet Franc
, Port: tawny
If you'd like more delicious recipes and wine pairings
, join my newsletter.
Visit Carla Johnson
's wine and food blog
Cooking With Sin.