Bengali Cauliflower with Peas and PotatoesBengali Cauliflower with Peas and Potatoes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
2-3 tbsp mustard or olive oil
1 tsp ghee
1 tsp panch phoron (bengali 5-spice blend, this is a mixture of nigella, cumin, fenugreek, mustard and fennel seeds available at your Indian grocer)
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
2 green chillies, slit
2 cups cauliflower, cut into medium sized pieces
1 large potato, peeled and cut into pieces
1 tbsp cumin-coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup fresh peas
2 tomatoes, chopped
Salt to taste
1 tbsp cilantro leaves
Method of Preparation
1. Heat the oil and ghee together and add in the panch phoron. Cook for about 30 seconds and let the spices splutter.
2. Add in the ginger and saute briefly.
3. Add in the chillies, cauliflower, potatoes, cumin-coriander and cook on low heat till the vegetables are well coated with the spices (about 2-3 minutes).
4. Add in the sugar, peas, tomatoes and stir well.
5. Cover and cook on low for about 10 minutes till the vegetables are very soft.
6. Stir in the cilantro leaves and enjoy!
Complementary Wines: Cider: hard, Gewürztraminer: Late Harvest, Muscat: orange, Tea: Darjeeling
If you'd like more delicious recipes and wine pairings
, join my newsletter.
Visit Rinku Bhattacharya
's wine and food blog
Cooking in Westchester.