Natalie MacLean, author of the bestsellerUnquenchable: A Tipsy Quest for the World’s Best Bargain Wines shares with us her top ten wine and chocolate matches for Valentine’s Day.
•Dark Chocolate and Remo Farina Amarone Classico, Italy
•Chocolate-Covered Biscotti and G. Marquis Vidal Icewine The Silver Line, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario
•Chocolate-Orange Cake and Quinta Do Portal Port Fine Ruby, Douro, Portugal
•Chocolate with Nuts and José Maria da Fonseca & Van Zeller Vintage Port, Douro, Portugal
•Milk Chocolate and Tokaj Kereskedöház Tokaji Aszú 4 Puttonyos, Hungary
•Bittersweet Chocolate and Bava Barolo, D.O.C.G., Piedmont, Italy
•Chocolate-Dipped Fruit and Tinhorn Creek Vineyards Kerner Icewine Oldfield Series, Okanagan Valley, BC
•Chocolate Ganache Truffles and Château Lafaurie-Peyraguey Sauternes, Bordeaux, France
•Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake and Domaine Pinnacle Ice Cider, Quebec, Canada
•Chocolate Hearts with Cream Filling and Harvey’s Bristol Cream Sherry, Spain
Wine Picks Made Easy
MacLean is releasing a new app that uses GPS to pinpoint the closest liquor store to you, then gives you a top 10 list of wines in that store in stock right now.
“Ever stood in front of a wall of bottles in the liquor store wishing someone would just tell you which one to buy?” asks MacLean, “This app knows which liquor store you’re in, or the closest one to you, and gives you my top ten list of wines that are in stock right now.”
Depending on your priority, the new app delivers a top ten list by wine type, score or price. So, if you’re looking for a high-scoring wine to impress on Valentines Day, this is the app for you.
The app is also available for Android and BlackBerry. Other smartphones can access the mobile site. The app’s key features allow you to:
- Instantly access tasting notes, scores, prices, recipes and food pairings
- Search 150,000 wines at liquor stores across the country
- Find out how many bottles of each wine are in stock at the liquor store you’re in as well as nearby stores via GPS real-time inventory search
- Track your purchases in your virtual cellar with just a few clicks
- Create a wine journal with your own wine notes and pictures in the app
- Share your wines and pairings on Twitter and Facebook
You can find more of Natalie’s wine picks and pairings at www.nataliemaclean.com.